Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: help setting up
From: Kevin Kelleher <kevink @ concorde . com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 08:47:26 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Hoppe, Chuck MAJ" <Hoppec @ issc . belvoir . army . mil>
Cc: majordomo-users <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

On Wed, 21 Aug 1996, Hoppe, Chuck MAJ wrote:

> Of course the next question was (a month later), can we now set up the
> archive and digest functions.  I am sure we can; the question is doing it
> without breaking what is currently running.
>
> I've read through the FAQ and the majordomo-1.93.README and honestly, am
> quite "confuzzled".  Any suggestions out there?

In the distribution there is a directory called "digest".
In that directory you'll find some example files whose
names all begin with "firewalls-digest".

What you need to do is make a copy of each of these files,
renamed for your list (i.e., for list "bongo"):

  bongo.cf, bongo.header, bongo.trailer, bongo.vol, bongo.num

Then edit each one.  The header and trailer files get stuck on
the beginning and end of each digest; the vol and num are the
volume and numbers used by the digests.  The cf file is the
configuration file and is well commented.

You will need to create two directories: one working directory
where the individual messages are saved, and one archive directory
where the digests are stored.  In the cf file, these are
"directory to store incoming messages" and "directory to archive
outgoing issues".

If you put the archive directory in majordomo's $filedir (in
majordomo.cf), subscribers will be able to get old digests
through majordomo.

Then you need a few aliases, the models for which are in
digest/aliases.slice.

This will make the digest work.  It will go out every time
the size limit is hit by an incoming message.  If you want
to make it go out at regular intervals whether it's near
the size limit or not, there is a command in the FAQ that
you can put into cron.

Kevin Kelleher <kevink@concorde.com>