Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Approving bouncing /administrivia??
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:08:01 -0500 (CDT)
To: gail @ arkons . lmsc . lockheed . com (DaPont Gail)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

[ DaPont, Gail writes: ]

> I am trying to test posting a message to the list that contains the word
> "h e l p" in the first line of the body.
>
> The 'bounce' comes to me a two messages:
[ headers from Mj bounce mailing deleted ]
[ headers and body from original mailing deleted ]

> Q.  Is this the way it's suppose to work?   There is no hard and fast
> evidence as to what message has been bounced.  I sort of have to figure
> it out.

That mail is actually being sent as one message, but something, the
system MTA (e.g. sendmail), the POP server that retrieves your mailbox,
or your Eudora Pro MUA, is failing to honor the Content-Length header
and splitting it into 2 messages because it contains embedded headers.
Perhaps some of the other EP lusers on this list can help you with EP
options and configuration or maybe the EP docs can help if the problem
is with EP. The sysadmin for the host system is probably the only
resource for correcting problems on that end.

> I don't understand the use of the term "pipe to the approve script" that
> I have seen used here (on this list).  I understand how to sub/unsub
> using 'approve password blah blah' when and APPROVE message comes to me
> but not how "pipe to the approve script" to approve a BOUNCE.

"Piping" is a useful concept (that seems to have gone completely over
the heads of the zoo at M$) in which a program runs another program
after redirecting the 2nd program's standard input to read what the
1st program writes to it, similar to the pipe ('|') meta-character in
shell (e.g. command.com) command lines. Otherwise known as Inter-Process
Communication.

In this case, it refers to the MUA (Mail User Agent, aka mail reader)
passing a complete message (including headers) to an external program,
i.e. the approve program, for processing. That way the mail reader
can easily be extended to perform functions other than display and
organize e-mail, e.g. approve bounced Mj mail. I'm told that EP does
know how to pipe messages, but you'll have to dig how to do it out of
the documentation or other EP lusers.

> I have been able to get the bounced message to the list by forwarding it
> to the list in this manner:
>
> approved:password
> >From: "DaPont, Gail" <gail@arkons.lmsc.lockheed.com>
[ remaining headers and body, all escaped with '>', deleted ]

> Which posts the following to the list.
[ incorrect headers and escaped original headers and message deleted ]

> Q. My gripe with this is that the subject line is blank.   Yes, the
> subject is there in the body of the message, but listers can't tell what
> the message is about until they open it.  Is there a more efficient way
> of getting the post to the list?  What does it take to get a subject on
> the subject line?

That's your only gripe? And here I thought you were tolerant to use EP!
;-) Try removing all the '>' escapes from the headers and message you're
approving when you insert the Approve: header. Then resend will
recognize the embedded headers and send the mail to the list correctly.

> Q. And finally, in order to avoid all of this I have set administrivia =
> no but I continue to get the taboo words stuff.  What is the problem
> here?

What does "I continue to get the taboo words stuff" mean? You still get
"admin request" bounces? That should work, but I don't know what bugs
1.92 has in that area.

BTW, your Mj installation needs to make majordomo a "trusted" user to
get rid of this header:

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598

From: john_lambertson@mail.fws.gov
Next: Re: Black hole of bounceness
From: Patrick Fitzgerald <fitz@issl.atl.hp.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Approving bouncing /administrivia??
From: "DaPont, Gail" <gail@arkons.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Next: Re: Approving bouncing /administrivia??
From: "DaPont, Gail" <gail@arkons.lmsc.lockheed.com>