Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: majordomo.cf suggestion
From: "Steven K. Buehler" <skb @ sbcomp . com>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 09:53:52 -0500
To: Kenneth C Rich <kenr @ sisko . cc . rochester . edu>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 07:11 AM 8/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
>my working group regards the placement of application stuff in system
>areas as a No-no.  having majordomo.cf in /etc is exactly that.
>the Reason: every app-related item in system areas gives us one more
>thing to lose track of at OS upgrade time.
>i know, someone will surely start to whine, "well, what about
>/etc/aliases?"  we tolerate sendmail stuff in /etc and /usr/lib i guess
>just because it's been that way forever.  not that it is a good reason.
>but anyhow, when i put up 1.93 just now, i tweaked majordomo to look for
>majordomo.cf in /usr/local/lib/majordomo/ instead.  another choice would
>have been /usr/local/etc/majordomo.cf, that being our usual app config
>area, but email-related stuff "goes in" lib for some reason.

I like to keep my stuff sorted better too instead of having it in all
different areas of the server.  When I set up my majordomo, I changed all of
the paths to point to the majordomo directory and its subdirectories, except
for the /tmp directory which I left alone.  So now everything is under
/usr/home/majordom and is easier to find and handle if I ever leave the company.

Steven K. Buehler
S & B Computers, Inc.
St. Joseph, Missouri 64507-1632
Phone 816-232-2918
Fax 816-232-2336
skb@sbcomp.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Black hole of bounceness