Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Archive & Permissions Problems
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 11:50:04 -0500 (CDT)
To: uunet!POST6 . LAAFB . AF . MIL!ABENDRJ @ uunet . uu . net (Abend, Robert J, GS13)
Cc: uunet!greatcircle . com!majordomo-users @ uunet . uu . net

[ Abend, Robert J, GS13 writes: ]

> I am having problems getting archive to work.
[...]
> 3.  554 "| /usr/local/majordomo/bin/wrapper archive2.pl -a -m -f
> /usr/local/majordomo/archive/sample" . . . unknown mailer error 2
>
> In the majordomo.cf file, I have the following:
>
> $filedir = "/usr/local/majordomo/archive/";
> $filedir_suffix = "";
>
> @archive_dirs = ("/usr/local/majordomo/archive/sample");

The -f option to resend specifies a *file* and the @archive_dirs
variable specifies a *directory*, but you've specified the same path for
*both*. Assuming the name of your list is "sample", the -f option should
be "/usr/local/majordomo/archive/sample/sample". Archive2.pl will then
create files named "/usr/local/majordomo/archive/sample/sample.YYMM".
FWIW, I always like to define @archive_dirs as:

    @archive_dirs = < $filedir/*$filedir_suffix >;

> It also seems that I can only get resend to work when the "lists"
> directory has 777 permission.

Not 755 or 775? Remember that your MTA (sendmail?) has to have read/
search permissions to access the list files and that it runs as some
user other than your majordomo user in all probability. But if you
really have to have world write permissions, then you probably don't
have the majordomo user owning the lists directory. Or maybe you don't
have wrapper installed correctly such that Mj isn't running as the
majordomo user.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598