Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: sender/precedence/reply-to
From: "Dennis Black" <Dennis . Black @ UAlberta . CA>
Date: 29 Aug 1996 10:57:52 -0600
To: "Majordomo Users" <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

REGARDING                sender/precedence/reply-to

Several times over the past year I've seen posts from users stating that
when they have a moderated list, they forward the message back to Majordomo
with "approved: pswd", and then they get a "jumbled" post.
The message appears first, followed by the resend-inserted Sender, and
Precedence, and if they've specified one, a Reply-To.
Perhaps even followed by more message.
I finally woke up and smelled the coffee.
Don't blame it on Majordomo or resend - it's your e-mail gateway config
or your desktop e-mail config. At one of these places, someone's chosen
"STICK RFC HEADERS AT THE END."
Majordomo's looking for the HEADers at the HEAD of the message, as in
this excerpt from resend:

 if ($in_hdr) {
            if (/^\s*$/) {
                # end of header; add new header fields
                print OUT "Sender: $sender\n";
                if (defined($opt_p)) {
                    print OUT "Precedence: $opt_p\n";
                }
                if (defined($opt_r)) {
                    print OUT "Reply-To: ",
&config'substitute_values($opt_r),
                                 "\n";
                }

If you move things around, MajorD can't find 'em.
I've got to live with this. In my spare time, I also look after an e-mail
gateway, with users who didn't want to have to scroll through the "junk."
(not my term - I find RFC822's interesting reading sometimes....)
I had to configure the gateway to put RFC stuff at the bottom.

Indexed By Date Previous: Does anyone have a news --> majordomo script?