Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Owner-LISTNAME vs LISTNAME-approval *QUESTIONS*
From: Dave Sill <de5 @ sws5 . ctd . ornl . gov>
Date: 29 Aug 1996 17:33:11 -0000
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Ron Buckmire <ron@abacus.oxy.edu> wrote:

>How do I make LISTNAME-approval and OWNER-listname be two separate addresses?

Just set them up in the alias file to point to two different places.

>I have read the FAQ and  it seems to conflate these two addresses. Why? That
>appears to me to be an awful bug.

Typically they're the same person. When they're different, define them
appropriately.

>I want to moderate a list, but currently I have owner-listname (which is
>actually set to listname-owner,but I don't think that matters) in the SENDER
>field in the config file. This causes the mail envelope to have owner-listname
>as the "From " and "Sender: " fields. However, this means that all undeliverable
>messages get sent to  this address which I have shunted to an account I don't
>check very often.

Right, the "From " address is the SMTP envelope sender, and it's where
bounces will go.

>However, Majordomo also seems to send BOUNCE messages to owner-listname. This
>is *bad* and wrong. Shouldn't these BOUNCE messages [which have to be approved
>to send them off to a list] be sent to listname-approval? How do I get this
>behaviour?

Logically, they should. You'll have to fix the source to fix that,
though.

>If I can solve this problem then I can get around to making all my lists
>moderated. Because right now if one moderates a list messages are still being
>BOUNCEd to owner-listname, but I don't want the list moderators to also be
>inundated with undeliverable messages.

Ah, but the moderators should be responsible for dealing with
bounces. They know the list better than anyone, and they have the
power to remove bouncing addresses. It's one of the burdens of being
a list owner.

>So, I need the following questions answered:
>
>1: How does one make the mail envelope FROM (owner-listname) address be
>different from the listname-approval

Define them differently in aliases, and hack Majordomo to BOUNCE to
-approval.

>2: Is it easy to set up list moderators to be another majordomo-run
>list?

Sure, just use the list name instead of the moderator's name or
address.

>Here is a bit of my /etc/aliases file:
>
># QUEERPOLITICS
>#
>owner-queerpolitics: queerpolitics-owner
>queerpolitics: "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper resend -l queerpolitics -h abacus
>.oxy.edu queerpolitics-outgoing"
>queerpolitics-outgoing: :include:/usr/local/majordomo/lists/queerpolitics, "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper  digest -r -C -l queerpolitics-digest queerpolitics-digest-outgoing"
>queerpolitics-request: "| /usr/local/majordomo/wrapper majordomo -l queerpolitics"
>queerpolitics-owner: systems
>queerpolitics-approval: ron
>
>3: Should I have a ',' after queerpolitics-owner?
>(I am using sendmail v8.x on a Sparc20 running SunOS
4.1.3_U2,abacus.oxy.edu)

I don't see what that would buy you.

>4: What happens if the 'sender' field in the config file is blank?

Don't know. Try it and see.

-Dave