Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(August 1996)

Subject: Re: Does anyone have a news --> majordomo script?
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 1996 13:59:49 -0500 (CDT)
To: snowe @ rain . org (Nick Halloway)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

[ Nick Halloway writes: ]

> I am trying to gate articles from news to a moderated MD mailing list.
[ description of steps deleted]
> Anyone know how to do these things without writing a program?

Don't expect much if you put that kind of restriction on it (I consider
writing a shell script to be writing a program). However, the "deliver"
package (maybe even procmail) can probably do what you want if you're
willing to write a little shell script to implement your processing
steps. It separates the header and body of mail messages and provides a
utility that parses headers. Then your script just outputs the desired
delivery address to stdout and exits. Deliver does the rest. Look for
deliver on any comp.sources.unix archive.

> It would help if regular expressions were able to look for the first
> line which doesn't contain a character but this doesn't seem to be a
> feature of regular expressions.

What about /^$/ ? Beginning of line (^) immediately followed by end of
line ($).

BTW, what you want to do would almost be trivial in Perl, given the Mail
modules. But that would require writing a program.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598