Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Majordomo 1.94 has NOT been released yet - REPLY
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 01 Sep 1996 23:21:45 -0500
To: bill @ biome . bio . dfo . ca (Bill Silvert)
Cc: Majordomo-Users @ GreatCircle . COM (Majordomo Users)

BS> What about people like me, who are definitely users and not developers,
BS> but who have moved to 1.94 because it works better than 1.93 (you may
BS> recall my recent postings about erratic resend behaviour in 1.93)?

The idea is that when development software is made available to people
outside of the development effort, those that use it are expected to
provide feedback.  (There really isn't a "development team" for Majordomo,
but there is a group of people who work on it.)  Many of the people that
assist in 1.94 development aren't programmers, they're adventurous people
who are willing to lend their comments.

BS> Basically this is a group for people who are using MJ (I hate to
BS> disagree with Brent on this, he started the whole thing!), and we are
BS> using the versions we are because those are the ones that work best for
BS> us.

Actually, this is a group for people who are using released versions of
Majordomo.  Majordomo-workers is for people who are using the development
version of majordomo.  It helps to keep development info in one place.

BS> I put off installing 1.94 precisely because I didn't want to get
BS> involved in the development process (mainly because I don't know perl
BS> well enough to understand the code, much less change it), but I finally
BS> decided that for my purposes 1.94 worked better than 1.93.

Why would you think that you have to know perl to be involved in the
development process?

BS> And Brent, have you noticed how many of the replies to questions about
BS> 1.93 and other released versions contain patches or suggestions to hack
BS> the code?

Majordomo is peculiar in that it's somewhat malleable.  It's simple enough
that this is possible, and indeed was in some ways to be modified to fit
the exact need.  (Though 1.68(?) was much simpler.)

BS> I don't really see a big difference between hacking released code and
BS> using unreleased code that works.

Try to think of the phrase "hack the code" as being synonymous with "no" or
"it doesn't do that".  Very little is actually impossible, you know,
especially when you have the source.

BS> I also think that even those who haven't moved to 1.94 may find the
BS> postings here useful.

I try to answer any "is it in there" questions, and we try to open standing
questions to a larger audience.  The response is (unfortunately) generally
underwhelming.  Also, keep in mind that unchecked discussion about
unreleased versions here can be somewhat confusing for someone just
interested in getting 1.93 working.

Finally, I do understand that the great feature gap between 1.93 and
1.94alpha makes using an unreleased version more tempting than usual, but
if you're going to try it, consider yourself bound to two things:

1. Read at least a month of majordomo-workers.  There are archives, and the
   traffic hasn't been that high.  There are patches sent there that fix
   things that aren't fixed in the distribution (because they have yet to
   be incorporated).

2. Tell majordomo-workers about any problems you encounter.  We have to
   know about them in order to fix them.

If nobody's going to do these things, we might as well hide the development
versions away and not let them out.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center