Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Question
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 12:22:02 -0500 (CDT)
To: skb @ sbcomp . com (Steven K. Buehler)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

[ Steven K. Buehler writes: ]

> I have a couple of processes that keep running and one of them has a
> 99% cpu usage. These are the 2 processes that keep running that I get
> from a ps. The first is owned by majordom and the second by daemon.
>
> majordom   230   228 99 02:25:58 ?  7:54 /usr/local/bin/perl
> /usr/home/majordom/majordomo 30sfun-list
>
> daemon   228   223  0 02:25:58 ?  0:00 sh -c  /usr/home/majordom/wrapper
>  majordomo 30sfun-list
>
> Everything is owned by majordom:daemon too, so that isn't the problem.  I
> sure hope that someone can help me on this.  This sure puts a load on the
> server.

Everything? Even wrapper? Your ps output looks like a POSIX derivative,
in which case wrapper must be owned by root and setuid. Chewing up that
much CPU and long run time sure sounds like the old abort loop problem,
so here's the standard answer:
[This is a canned message.]
You have asked a question about a "Permission denied", "Out of memory",
"Bus error", "Segmentation violation", or similar error message. All
except the "Permission denied" are usually the result of a bug in Mj
1.93 that is triggered when you don't have Majordomo configured or
installed correctly. Ask yourself the following questions. They'll give
you guidance as to what you need to do to correct your Mj installation.

1)  Do the ownerships and permissions on the list files, log file, and
    the directories where they reside allow the majordomo user to write
    to the files and create files in the directories?

2)  Is wrapper configured and installed correctly? It must be owned by
    root and setuid (BSD-based systems are different: see Makefile).
    You can test this by logging on as a user other than root or your
    majordomo user and running the following *exactly as shown*:

	./test
	./wrapper test

    The first should show the uid/gids of the logon user. The second
    should show the majordomo uid/gids. If not, you don't have wrapper
    installed and/or configured correctly. Note that wrapper must be
    installed by the superuser (root) in order to set the owner and
    setuid permissions.

3)  Do your aliases use wrapper to invoke the Mj programs?

4)  If you're running Perl 5, is your version of Perl at least 5.001e
    (perl -v will display the perl version). Perl 4.019 through 4.036
    will work, but 5.000 through 5.001d will not. Version 5.003 is
    recommended (as of this writing) if you need to upgrade. Note that
    some changes are required in the Mj Perl files for Perl 5 (all '@'
    characters in quotish strings must be escaped, e.g. "user@host.net"
    must be changed to "user\@host.net").

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598