Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Help!-exponential problems!
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 11 Sep 1996 21:28:43 -0500
To: Cameron <cameron @ homebusiness . com>
Cc: <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>

C> I have a list of about 1,000 and I ended up forgetting to change
C> the aliases

Change the aliases?  What do you mean?

C> so any replies ended up going out to everybody!

Well, that is how a mailing list generally works.  If you don't like that,
make the list moderated or set up restrict_post and allow only a small
number of addresses.

C> The next day I had 660 email messages!

Your list must be popular.

C> I really don't like the idea of the chances of this happening again
C> relying all on human error.

Is your list something that isn't supposed to be responded to?  You're not
being very clear.

C> Do you have any suggestions on how to over come this. ie. make it so the
C> people can't reply or something.

Why would you not want people to reply?  Using restrict_post or making the
list moderated will prevent people from sending mail without your approval.

C> I think the news config file is set up correctly-

What is a news config file?

C> Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

You should really supply enough background information to allow people to
answer your questions.  It's difficult to go about guessing.
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center
                1994 PC800 "Kuroneko"      DoD# 1723

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Help Needed! was, BOUNCE wellpet-l: Non-member submission from ["Soft*Switch Gateway/" <SSWGATE@IHS.SSW.DHHS.GOV>]