Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Help!-exponential problems!
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 11 Sep 1996 21:28:43 -0500
To: Cameron <cameron @ homebusiness . com>
Cc: <majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM>

C> I have a list of about 1,000 and I ended up forgetting to change
C> the aliases

Change the aliases?  What do you mean?

C> so any replies ended up going out to everybody!

Well, that is how a mailing list generally works.  If you don't like that,
make the list moderated or set up restrict_post and allow only a small
number of addresses.

C> The next day I had 660 email messages!

Your list must be popular.

C> I really don't like the idea of the chances of this happening again
C> relying all on human error.

Is your list something that isn't supposed to be responded to?  You're not
being very clear.

C> Do you have any suggestions on how to over come this. ie. make it so the
C> people can't reply or something.

Why would you not want people to reply?  Using restrict_post or making the
list moderated will prevent people from sending mail without your approval.

C> I think the news config file is set up correctly-

What is a news config file?

C> Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

You should really supply enough background information to allow people to
answer your questions.  It's difficult to go about guessing.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center