Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Help Needed! was, BOUNCE wellpet-l: Non-member submission from ["Soft*Switch Gateway/" <SSWGATE@IHS.SSW.DHHS.GOV>]
From: "Steven K. Buehler" <skb @ sbcomp . com>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:04:34 -0500
To: katrina @ cia . com . au (Katrina Ritchie)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 12:52 PM 9/12/96 +1000, Katrina Ritchie wrote:
>Yes I do have "reply to" set to the list as most replies to list posts
>*are* intended for the list... Why isn't it a good idea?

Because you can end up with a loop if any of the email bounces from a users
email address.  When that happens it gets sent back to the list and
everybody gets it, plus it gets sent back out to the offending email
address which bounces it and sends it back to the list which sends it out
to all users which sends it back to the offending
address.....etc...etc...etc...  I think you see the problem with that now.
Just wait until someone drops their internet account and doesn't
unsubscribe from your list first, or when their mail server is down or
can't be reached.  You will start getting complaints from the users because
of the bounced messages.

Steven K. Buehler
S & B Computers, Inc.
St. Joseph, Missouri 64507-1632
Phone 816-232-2918
Fax 816-232-2336
skb@sbcomp.com

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Subset lists