Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Configuration problems
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 13:50:00 -0500 (CDT)
To: uunet!straylight . connectnet . com!treed @ uunet . uu . net (Tracy R. Reed)
Cc: uunet!concorde . com!kevink @ uunet . uu . net, uunet!greatcircle . com!majordomo-users @ uunet . uu . net

[ Tracy R. Reed writes: ]

> Also, do the config files have to be mailed in or can they be edited
> directly? I often edit them manually but I'm thinking that isn't such
> a good idea because quite often my changes disappear.

If you edit them directly, you run the risk that you made a mistake and
Mj will abort the next time it tries to parse the list config file. If
you mail them then Mj validates it before updating the file. Even with
updating via config/newconfig, there's always a window when only the
last changes are applied. The cheap solution is to agree that only one
person is allowed to update each list config file.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598