Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Problem with some mail gateways
From: Thomas Gramstad <thomasg @ ifi . uio . no>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 21:51:15 +0200
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

> Welcome to the wonderful world of Microsoft Mail.  If you think that's
> bad, just wait until you see how it handles BCC's and MIME attachments.
>
>> I'd get on the horn and yell very loudly about this incredibly broken
>> behavior.
>
> Screaming into a void, that would be.
>
> Allegedly, Microsoft Exchange Server is a bit more social in these
> regards.  But I have no direct experience to confirm this, and previous
> experience with Micysoft's other attempts at interoperation with
> internet standards does not raise high hopes.
>
> I regularly purge subscribers to my list who bounce because of MS-Mail
> lossage.  I consider it a small bit of social pressure to rid the net
> of atrocious software.

On that note, here's a message that I recently posted to one of my lists.

-----

Date: Sat, 31 Aug 1996 1:54:50 +0200
From: Thomas Gramstad <thomas@math.uio.no>
Subject: [MB] Attention MS Exchange users (was: WINMAIL.DAT Explanation)

All Microsoft Exchange users, please read.

I'm very close to banning anyone who use this degenerate mail
program from all my lists.

In addition to the problem described earlier, that the users
have to manually turn off a garbage attachment for each message,
otherwise adding a lot of junk to their mail, there are two
other problems with it:

(1) for mailing list mail it generates replies not to the list,
nor to the author, but to the address owner-listname, which is
an administrative address not listed anywhere, that goes only
to me.  Leaving me the choice to forward to the list, or send
back to you, or ignore the message you intended for the list.

I'm not your mail-man, and I'm not your nanny, and I'm fed up
getting these misdirected messages.

(2) Often Microsoft Exchange generates a confirmation message
whenever the user reads a message, sending the confirmation
to the author of the read message.  This also seems to be a
"""feature""" that is hard to turn off or must be turned off
each time.  For example, if ten subscribers to a mailing list
each use Microsoft Deranged, and each forget to turn the
"""feature""" off, then the author of a posted message to
the list gets 10 _very_interesting_ automatic messages
telling him or her that 10 people have read the posting.

I really need to get Microsoft Deranged out of my life.
One way or another.

-----

Thomas Gramstad                             thomasg@ifi.uio.no