Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: too bad resend isn't stand-alone anymore
From: "Alan Millar" <amillar @ bolis . com>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:58:56 -800
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amillar@bolis.com>

On 18 Sep 96 at 14:15, Travis Hassloch x231 wrote:
> As opposed to:
> 1) modify /etc/aliases to use resend with the correct options.
>
> Now, which is simpler?  Which would lead to simpler program logic?

It isn't just a matter of simplicity; it is a matter of required
functionality, because of the next point:

> True, but we don't need that.  Our list parameters won't change.  We don't

That's the problem: pretty much everyone else on the planet has lists
whose parameters DO change.  And many of them have system
administrators like yours which take two weeks for even the smallest
change.  All of my list owners have e-mail-only access to the
machine, and they are located all over the world.  They NEED to be
able to change the list configurations without being sysadmin on the
machine.

I'm sure the list archives could prove me wrong, but there just
haven't been too many complaints in the last few years of
majordomo-users along the lines of "Please remove this extra
functionality that I don't need".  There is plenty of discussion on
majordomo-workers about what is really needed in new versions and
what isn't; so if it gets added it is usually because a lot of
people need it.

> we could have simply used this /etc/aliases entry if things had worked
> "as advertised"  (and saved ourselves 3 days of debugging):

You must have been reading old advertising.

Either way, I'm sure that if you fix resend as you want it to work
and make your fixes backwards compatible and coexistent with the
existing installed base and current development efforts, it will
probably be included in the next released version.  That's what the
rest of us have done.

- Alan
----
Alan Millar                  amillar@bolis.com
Owner, System Admin          http://www.bolis.com
-> bolis.sf-bay.org is now bolis.com <-
Trust me.  I dare you.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: problems compiling wrapper