Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Is it impossible to moderate a list?
From: Noah White <noah @ milkcrate . com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 15:08:37 -0400
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: Dave Wolfe <david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> If you want to get rid of that line for good, edit sendmail.cf and find the
> line that starts with "HReceived".  Remove the "$?u for $U$." part.  This
> affects all messages, though; you could use a different .cf file for
> outgoing messages (which is one of the two foolproof ways to get around
> having outgoing aliases that are visible to the outside world.  Wait until
> 1.94 comes out (or get the latest beta) and set $mailer appropriately.

As I mentioned in the other message I hacked it out of the Received
definition.
I guess I can put it back in if I have to diagnose problems. There is
also
another way to do this which allows the for to exist put protects the
outgoing alias.

One could change the /usr/lib/sendmail invocation in resend to use the
flag which causes it to look at an alternate aliases file which would
contain
the outgoing alias with the :include:.  So even thought this alias gets
exposed
in the Recieved header, no one on the outside could directly send mail
it because it is not in the system alias file.

-Noah