Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(September 1996)

Subject: Re: Is there any way to get majordomo to ...
From: Rick Franchuk <rickf @ portal . ca>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 12:00:29 -0700 (PDT)
To: DCook @ mail . biosis . org
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 30 Sep 1996 DCook@mail.biosis.org wrote:

>      Hi,
>
>         I just installed majordomo on our Ultrix machine.  I have
>      configured it to automatically put the listname as the Reply-To:
>      field.  The problem is that some of our recipients will be using
>      Prodigy as their internet provider.  Prodigy does not recognize the

Lovely. That'll have caused numerous mail hassles.

>      Is there any way to get majordomo to put the listname on the From
>      line?  Is there any reason why I shouldn't do this?

Here's a patch I whipped up to do just that.. I know you requested it in
private email, but I'll post it to the group just in case anyone wants it.

How it works: It adds a tag for '-F' in the getopts line in resend. If
$opt_F exists, it adds a regex to remove the "From:" line out the message
headers, allowing sendmail to recreate it during resend.

Coincidentally, this could protentially be used to 'anonymize' a list,
if used in conjunction with  -R in resend, assuming that no other headers
give away the origin of the message. I'll leave it up to you to
determine if this is a good or bad thing. ;)

- Rick Franchuk - Internet Portal - <mailto:rickf@portal.ca> -

RCS file: /home/portal/CVSRoot/majordomo/resend,v
retrieving revision 1.1.1.2
retrieving revision 1.5
diff -r1.1.1.2 -r1.5
8,9c8,9
< # $Revision: 1.1.1.2 $
< # $Date: 1996/09/26 21:55:59 $
---
> # $Revision: 1.5 $
> # $Date: 1996/09/30 18:49:31 $
17c17
< #      &Getopts("Aa:df:h:I:l:M:p:Rr:s") || die("resend: Getopts() failed: $!");
---
> #      &Getopts("CcAa:dFf:h:I:l:M:p:Rr:s") || die("resend: Getopts() failed: $!");
27a28
> #	-F 			force "From:" field to equal $sender
75c76
< &Getopts("CcAa:df:h:I:l:M:p:Rr:s") || die("resend: Getopts() failed: $!");
---
> &Getopts("CcAa:dFf:h:I:l:M:p:Rr:s") || die("resend: Getopts() failed: $!");
220a222,223
> $skip_headers .= '|| /^from:/i' if defined($opt_F);

588c591
< 	return if ( $#output != -1 );
---