Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: new subscribers get inundated by old messages (linux prob?)
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 01 Oct 1996 11:27:04 -0500
To: Evan Welsh <R . E . Welsh @ quadstone . co . uk>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

EW> Anyway, after conversing with Steven, I think it may be something to do
EW> with our common platform which is linux with smail. With this hint,
EW> does anybody out there have any ideas?

If Linux is indeed he common denominator, then there is another bug which
Linux sometimes has: not deleting the resend.* files in /tmp.  Since this
is pretty much the only possible place where it would see old mail during
operation, I have to wonder.  Do you have a bunch of resend.* files sitting
in /tmp?  If so, delete them and see if the problem goes away.  I doubt it
will, but I'm clutching at straws.

The problem with Linux and the stuff in /tmp is that some Linux
installations don't have csh, so they can't use the Perl <resend.$$.*>
globbing syntax (which calls csh to do the globbing).  1.94 just reads the
directory itself, so there's no problem there.  An easy fix for 1.93 is to
install tcsh and link it to csh.

Let us know if this makes any difference.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center