Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: new subscribers get inundated by old messages (linux prob?)
From: bill @ celestial . com (Bill Campbell)
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:17:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: R . E . Welsh @ quadstone . co . uk (Evan Welsh)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

>A couple of months ago Steven Nunez posted that his new subscribers were
>getting the last couple of weeks' worth of old messages sent to them when
>they subscribed. The resulting thread confirmed that this was not a feature
>of majordomo but nobody suggested what the cause might be.

This is very likely a feature of your MTA (Mail Transport Agent) which
results when there are old messages that are still in the mail queue
waiting for delivery.  We use smail-2.1.?? and smail-3.2 and for each
message it maintains a list of the addresses to which it has successfully
delivered the message and attempts to deliver mail to the current list
that don't appear in that list.

We put a comment about this in our info files and say that it could be
construed as a feature since it gives new subscribers a chance to
catch up on recent traffic without going to the archives.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers

From: Patrick Wiseman <lawppw@gsulaw.gsu.edu>
Next: Majordomo using Netscape mail server
From: Hea Kim <Hea_Kim@amrcorp.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: new subscribers get inundated by old messages (linux prob?)
From: R E Welsh <evan@murrayfield.quadstone.co.uk>
Next: Re: new subscribers get inundated by old messages (linux prob?)
From: R E Welsh <evan@murrayfield.quadstone.co.uk>