Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: "Unknown mailer error 255" (Hypermail users or others)
From: Christopher Adams <chris @ sparkie . osl . state . or . us>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:55:19 -0700 (PDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

This may not be strictly Majordomo question, but I know some others on
the list are using Hypermail to archive their MD lists, so I thought I
might get an answer to my question here. I have a list that has been
running fine for quite sometime, but recently some directories and files
were moved around, and now I am getting an error message as Hypermail
tries to write to the file. The mail message is being delivered to the
list, so it is not MD that is causing the problem (I assume).  The actual
message file, in hypertext format,
is written into the list directory, but for some reason, it can't write
to the default date.html file. Also, the owner and group of the new
hypertext files is now daemon/daemon rather thatn root/staff. It may be
just a coincidence, but it seems to have started when my "system
administrator" was messing around. I have included the error message below.
What does this error message mean?

Thanks for any tips.

Christopher Adams