Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: "Unknown mailer error 255" (Hypermail users or others)
From: Nimoy M Pugh <npugh @ sh1 . ro . com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 1996 05:31:04 -0500 (CDT)
To: Christopher Adams <chris @ sparkie . osl . state . or . us>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 3 Oct 1996, Christopher Adams wrote:

> This may not be strictly Majordomo question, but I know some others on
> the list are using Hypermail to archive their MD lists, so I thought I
> might get an answer to my question here. I have a list that has been
> running fine for quite sometime, but recently some directories and files
> were moved around, and now I am getting an error message as Hypermail
> tries to write to the file. The mail message is being delivered to the
> list, so it is not MD that is causing the problem (I assume).  The actual
> message file, in hypertext format,
> is written into the list directory, but for some reason, it can't write
> to the default date.html file. Also, the owner and group of the new
> hypertext files is now daemon/daemon rather thatn root/staff. It may be
> just a coincidence, but it seems to have started when my "system
> administrator" was messing around. I have included the error message below.
> What does this error message mean?
>
> Thanks for any tips.
>
> Christopher Adams

> >From MAILER-DAEMON@sparkie.osl.state.or.usThu Oct  3 14:47:06 1996
> Date: Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:37:13 -0700
> From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON@sparkie.osl.state.or.us>
> To: sample-owner@sparkie.osl.state.or.us
> Subject: Returned mail: unknown mailer error 255
>
> The original message was received at Thu, 3 Oct 1996 14:37:03 -0700
> from daemon@localhost
>
>    ----- The following addresses had delivery problems -----
> "|/usr/bin/hypermail -i -u -d /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/archives/sample -l \"sample Archives\""  (unrecoverable error)
>     (expanded from: sample-archive)

> Message delivered to mailing list sample-archive
> Message delivered to mailing list sample-outgoing
> Receiving 1
> producing sample-digest V1 #39
> 	processing /usr/local/mail/digest/sample-digest/001
> hypermail: Couldn't write "/usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/archives/sample/date.html".
> hypermail: type "hypermail -z" for options.
> 554 "|/usr/bin/hypermail -i -u -d /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/archives/sample -l \"sample Archives\""... unknown mailer error 255
> Message delivered to mailing list sample-owner

Either hyper mail is trying to write to the old location or when the dirs
were moved the permissions on them were changed and now hypermail can't
wirte to them

From: Ash <arn@netcom.com>
Next: Limiting Who Command
From: Nimoy M Pugh <npugh@sh1.ro.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: "Unknown mailer error 255" (Hypermail users or others)
From: Christopher Adams <chris@sparkie.osl.state.or.us>
Next: Re: Automatic replies (fwd)
From: Tom Glover <tomg@boiled.egg.com>