Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Qs: who_access, []'s
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 06 Oct 1996 17:55:47 -0500
To: Omar Thameen <omar @ athena . inch . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

>>>>> "OT" == Omar Thameen <omar@athena.inch.com> writes:

OT> Currently, the archives at www.meadow.net seem to be out of whack.

They've been working fine for me, but since the machine is in Switzerland
the connection is probably unreliable.  I've considered making an archive
available from my machine but haven't really gotten around to it.

OT> Additionally, I was wondering whether at this stage, y'all would
OT> recommend just upgrading to 1.94b4 or sticking with 1.93 and applying
OT> the patch.

The beta4 has been really stable and we haven't seen any reports except for
minor issues and requests for things that won't be in the release.  If you
want to try it, grab a copy and let majordomo-workers know how it went.

[Addresses in square brackets]
OT> They use the brackets when they're meant to indicate an optional
OT> argument.  When the request is received, Mj processes the request and
OT> subscribes the address with brackets, which, of course, can't be
OT> reached.  I know I can just modify the instructions, but is this
OT> behavior that should be corrected in the code of Mj?

We could strip off the brackets from the address, like we do from the
list-name already.  I haven't thought through all of the implications of
this, though.  I know you can't just blindly strip angle brackets from the
address, as those are significant.

BTW, the help message (at least in 1.94) plainly says to leave off the
brackets.  Note that (in 1.94) you can prevent the bad address from getting
on your list by using confirmed subscriptions.  Heck, everyone should be
using confirmed subscriptions.
--
      Jason L. Tibbitts III - tibbs@uh.edu - 713/743-8684 - 221SR1
System Manager:  University of Houston High Performance Computing Center