Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: help
From: Ash <arn @ netcom . com>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 1996 19:07:24 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Kendall P. Bullen" <kendall @ his . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Apparently I have been gravely misunderstood.

Perl is great for many things, such as unobtrusively running mailing lists of
unix machines. However the design of perl is contrary to what most 95/nt
users are interisted in. There exists no method of intigrating BigPerl with
the services of NT so it would have to be started each time you rebooted the
machine and last I looked most of the NT mail programs did not do pipeing
mail to a program well, with many of them not doing it at all. For NT the
usual solution is to to have the standard mail handeler run the mailing
lists. SLmail95 does this as does WinSMTP. If the person wanted to run only a
few lists then SLmail's trial version will handle 2 mailing lists, the
commercial version is unlimited I believe.

If the box is actually 95 then SLmail95 will still run on it well and the
machine is likely to croak if more then one or three copies of BigPerl (the
nt/95 port of perl) is called at a time.

I say again, I don't know why a Win95/nt user would want to run majordomo,
and my opinion has nothing to do with any superiority complex I may or may
not have.

The user would be best avised to read the MLM FAQ and find himself something
native to 95/nt.

--
Ash. <arn@netcom.com>  FDD3m C+++ H++ M+ P R++ T+++ f+ p+ S  PGP Encouraged

Follow-Ups: