Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: bounce with Message too long (>40000) error
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:51:52 -0500 (CDT)
To: opi @ CellNet . com (Lance Murayama x6096)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

[ Lance Murayama x6096 writes: ]

> I have two questions.  I was under the impression that the -M in the
> resend string should have changed the max length of the message to 1.5M
> in this particular case.  So why is the error message complaining about
> exceeding 40K?

Because the maxlength variable in the list .config file overrides the
command line setting.

> And secondly, and more importantly, why is the message bouncing in the
> first place since it is smaller than the 40K bytes it complains about
> exceeding?

By whose count? Such enclosures are usually ASCII encoded, which blows
up the mailed size significantly over the raw file size.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598