Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Argh! Invalid archive directory?!
From: "Nathan J. Mehl" <nmehl @ leftbank . com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 18:26:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

Setting up majordomo on a new machine, trying to create a list called
"testlist", I've run into the following problem trying to get list
archiving to work.  Every message sent to the list generates a
MAJORDOMO ABORT and the following bounce message:

   ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
"|/usr/local/lib/majordomo/wrapper -a -m -f /usr/local/lib/majordomo
/archives/testlist.archive/testlist"  (unrecoverable error)
    (expanded from: testlist-outgoing)

Receiving 5
Invalid archive directory.  Aborting.

This is driving me a little nuts.  According to the commentary at the
top of, the syntax in my aliases file is correct.  And
the directory specified (/usr/local/lib/majordomo/archives/testlist.archive)
does exist, and is owner and group majordom.

(SunOS 4.1.4, sendmail 8.7.5, not that any of that seems to apply.)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Nathan J. Mehl -- The Left Bank Operation
(work) --
(play)    --

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Majordomo vs. Listserv