Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: ftpmail
From: Jerry Peek <jpeek @ jpeek . com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 20:38:22 -0700
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: Mark Moore <mam @ gleim . com>, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On 14 October, Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu> wrote:
> I believe ftpmail can automatically split files and uuencode binaries and
> such.  I've never used it; if I want to serve binaries, I have an FTP
> site.

Yes, ftpmail does queueing, splitting, encoding, etc.  It's great for
people who have a slow (or no) Net connection.  It also gets through
firewalls where FTP might not.

> Does anyone actually use ftpmail?  It would be nice to hear what the real
> benefits are, and have someone to test to make sure we aren't breaking
> anything during development.

It's pretty painless to set up.  But I don't think you don't really
need to set up ftpmail for testing MD: just set the ftpmail server
address to be your own personal mailbox... then check the messages that
Majordomo sends and see that they're valid ftpmail syntax.  There are
at least two different flavors of ftpmail, anyway (the one at decwrl,
and the freely-available version from Lee McLoughlin that O'Reilly's
MIIS book covers), so I'm not sure that testing just one version would
be the best thing?
--
Jerry Peek, jpeek@jpeek.com, http://www.jpeek.com/~jpeek/
    Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.  -- Salvor Hardin