Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Argh! Invalid archive directory?!
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 08:17:02 -0500 (CDT)
To: nmehl @ leftbank . com
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

[ Nathan J. Mehl writes: ]

> Setting up majordomo on a new machine, trying to create a list called
> "testlist", I've run into the following problem trying to get list
> archiving to work.  Every message sent to the list generates a
> MAJORDOMO ABORT and the following bounce message:
[...]
> Invalid archive directory.  Aborting.
[...]
> the directory specified (/usr/local/lib/majordomo/archives/testlist.archive)
> does exist, and is owner and group majordom.

You need to be sure that the $filedir, $filedir_suffix, and
@archive_dirs variables in your majordomo.cf file all agree. I'm
assuming that:

    $filedir = "/usr/local/lib/majordomo/archives";
    $filedir_suffix = ".archive";

Then:

    @archive_dirs = ("$filedir/testlist$filedir_suffix");

Or even better:

    @archive_dirs = < $filedir/*$filedir_suffix >;

The latter setting will pick up any new archive directories, but the
former must be updated to add each new archive directory.

--
 Dave Wolfe    *Not a spokesman for Motorola*
 Motorola MMTG  6501 Wm. Cannon Dr. W. OE112  Austin  TX  78735-8598