Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Majordomo vs. Listserv
From: "James B. Byrne" <byrnejb @ harte-lyne . ca>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 16:32:27 +4
To: "A. Lester Buck III" <buck @ Compact . COM>, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <byrnejb@mail.halisp.net>

On 15 Oct 96 at 9:46, A. Lester Buck III wrote:

> > To reverse the question: what features is majordomo
> > missing that listserv includes?
>
> The feature I miss from listserv is the state variable per member:
> digest or individual messages.  I figured out how to do a digest
> list, and I set restrict_post to be <list name>:<digest name>, so
> only the union of the two lists can post.  But I don't want anyone
> receiving the same information twice, so I have to run an offline
> script that removes duplicates.  A correct implementation of this
> would use the locking routines before modifying the alias files, but
> I am not that advanced yet.

I'm confused by this description.  The restrict_post only handles
incoming traffic.  The out going traffic is handled by the
subscription files for list and list-digest.  If someone has
subscribed to both versions of the list then they will get
individual messages and a digest.  These are not 'duplicates' in the
usual sense of the word.   In fact I can envision situations where it
might be handy to get individual messages that are discarded when
read or acted upon and still receive a single digest on a daily
basis.  Am I missing something here?

---
James B. Byrne                 mailto:byrnejb@harte-lyne.ca
Harte & Lyne Limited           http://www.harte-lyne.ca
Hamilton, Ontario              905-561-1241

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Majordomo and Smap