Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Argh! Invalid archive directory?!
From: Lord Among Poptarts <nmehl @ leftbank . com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:44:33 -0400 (EDT)
To: david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com
Cc: nmehl @ leftbank . com, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

In the immortal words of Dave Wolfe:

> > >     @archive_dirs = < $filedir/*$filedir_suffix >;

> JFTR, this should work. Note that those are "angle brackets" (aka
> "brokets"), not parentheses.

Ah, and therein lay the problem.  :)

> > There was one additional problem: I had the mode of the archive
> > directory set to 0775, when it apparently needed to be 6775.

> Why? Just what do modes 06000 mean on your system? Setuid doesn't mean
> anything wrt directories that I recall and I don't see how setgid could
> make any difference.

I *believe* that mode 6000 (this is SunOS 4.1.4, btw) means that files
created in the directory take the umask of the directory, rather than
of the person/process creating the file.  At least, this was roughly the
behavior I observed, and it solved a problem of the archive2.pl program
not being allowed to create the archive files despite the archive dir
being 775 and owned by majordom.majordom.

YMMV.

--
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Nathan J. Mehl -- The Left Bank Operation