Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: Argh! Invalid archive directory?!
From: Lord Among Poptarts <nmehl @ leftbank . com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 10:44:33 -0400 (EDT)
To: david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com
Cc: nmehl @ leftbank . com, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

In the immortal words of Dave Wolfe:

> > >     @archive_dirs = < $filedir/*$filedir_suffix >;

> JFTR, this should work. Note that those are "angle brackets" (aka
> "brokets"), not parentheses.

Ah, and therein lay the problem.  :)

> > There was one additional problem: I had the mode of the archive
> > directory set to 0775, when it apparently needed to be 6775.

> Why? Just what do modes 06000 mean on your system? Setuid doesn't mean
> anything wrt directories that I recall and I don't see how setgid could
> make any difference.

I *believe* that mode 6000 (this is SunOS 4.1.4, btw) means that files
created in the directory take the umask of the directory, rather than
of the person/process creating the file.  At least, this was roughly the
behavior I observed, and it solved a problem of the program
not being allowed to create the archive files despite the archive dir
being 775 and owned by majordom.majordom.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Nathan J. Mehl -- The Left Bank Operation
(work) --
(play)    --

Indexed By Date Previous: unknown mailer error 139