Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Sendmail, majordomo and quotes in the alias
From: Catherine Wattebot <cathy @ maths . warwick . ac . uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 23:43:52 +0100 (BST)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: cathy @ maths . warwick . ac . uk (Catherine Wattebot)

I have a very basic problem getting majordomo to work: if quotes are put round
the majordomo alias in /etc/aliases (with Berkeley sendmail 8.8.0 or older
versions too apparently) on SunOS4.1.3_U1:

majordomo:	"| /usr/local/lib/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"

there is a User unknown message from Mailer-Daemon (see below).
If the quotes are omitted, the script (the message was "help" in this case)
runs, but bombs out near the end even so with a perl error.
Sun's version of sendmail on the other hand seems to behave according to the
majordomo docs, with quotes in the alias.

I must have missed something somewhere, but haven't found a reference to this
in the majordomo documents. Sendmail was compiled with just the NDBM option,
not NIS or NEWDB.

Thanks for any help,
| e-mail:   cathy@oikos.warwick.ac.uk           | Catherine Wattebot          |
|           cathy@maths.warwick.ac.uk           | Maths/Biological Sciences   |
|           marhc@csv.warwick.ac.uk             | University of Warwick       |
| PHONE:    +44 1203 523707                     | Coventry CV4 7AL            |
Error message from Mailer-Daemon:
"| /usr/local/lib/majordomo/wrapper /usr/local/lib/majordomo/majordomo"
    (expanded from: <majordomo>)

550 "| /usr/local/lib/majordomo/wrapper /usr/local/lib/majordomo/majordomo"...
 User unknown

Indexed By Date Previous: Messages to be approved come with full headers..solution?