Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: FAQ/INSTALL discrepancy
From: Dave Barr <barr @ math . psu . edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 15:25:17 -0400
To: richard welty <welty @ balltown . cma . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <326E6368.794BDF32@balltown.cma.com>, richard welty writes:
>in upgrading our installation from 1.92 to 1.94, i see a difference
>between the current (1.104 1996/10/22) FAQ and the INSTALL doc that
>is in the majordomo-1.94.tar file: the FAQ talks about user/group
>majordomo/majordom, whereas the INSTALL doc prefers user/group of
>majordomo/daemon

Look at your site.  If I can become group 'daemon' what more damage
can I do if I were just group 'majordom'?  Look especially at
permissions in /var/spool.

If it's not a big deal and you don't feel like creating another group,
use daemon.

If you have local users which may help in the maintenance of majordomo
(or you yourself wish to do so without having to 'su' or 'runas' or 'sudo'
to majordom) then you'll want to use a separate 'majordom' group.
(what you call it doesn't matter, we actually call it 'listmgr')

If you use an existing group like daemon, you probably don't want to
add users to that group (for reasons mentioned above).

That's why i encourage people to use a separate group.  Today you may
not care, but as your network and admin base grows you may.  (also
especially since standard groups like 'daemon' don't often have
the same numeric group ID across different operating systems, causing
additional hassles)

--Dave