Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: runaway majordomo processes
From: John McDermon <jmcdermo @ lanl . gov>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 01:04:31 -0600
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

At 0:33 -0600 10/24/96, you wrote:
---------- Begin Included Text ----------

}Help,
}I've just installed and configured 1.94 and it seems to be working fine,
}but in the process of testing and configuring I made a couple of mistakes
}which caused things to not execute, bounce mail, etc. I believe I fixed all
}these and all is well now, except I have a series of majordomo processes
}that keep respawing with new PIDs so I can't kill them.
}
}Two questions:
}I think I can kill these by making removing execute permissions on both
}wraper and majordomo for a few minutes, but that's pretty kludgy -- any
}better way?

removing execute permission from majordomo prevented the processes from
respawing, but is there a better way?

}
}Why is this happening, and how can I be sure it doesn't happen again?

I figured out why it was happening (I think). It seems to happen if I send
majordomo a newconfig command without the EOF. Sorta makes sense, it
doesn't know when to stop "reading" the file, but I don't understand the
changing PIDs.

So how can I prevent this from reoccuring? I know as soon as I start having
other people manage lists they will forget the EOF. Heck, I did :)

TIA
--John

| John McDermon,    voice mail 7-7315  Fax 5-1002 |
| CIC-2, MS B215     cell 699-4910, page 104-8665 |