Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

From: "Lazlo Nibble" <lazlo @ swcp . com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:35:02 -0600 (MDT)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com (mu)

> So, the "correct answer" might be: Majordomo is intended for voluntary,
> public mailing lists, and should thus allow anyone to unsubscribe, and allow
> any list member to 'who'. Other programs should be used for "broadcast" and
> private lists... Opinions on this statement? - Sarang

Majordomo works fine for broadcast and private lists, unless your definition
of "broadcast" includes "users must not be allowed to unsubscribe themselves".
(I tend to agree with the other folks who think that if you're trying to
enforce subscriptions, the admin notification is probably a good enough tool
to let you do that.)  And 1.94 supports per-list control over the "who"
command, so keeping lists completely private is a simple config option now.

--
::: Lazlo (lazlo@swcp.com; http://www.swcp.com/lazlo)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: who opinion