Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: who opinion
From: "Gregory K. Remington" <greg @ gkrcc . com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 08:03:19 -0600
To: <majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com>

> From: Mr. Sarang Gupta <sgupta@nmjc.org>

> Majordomo is intended for voluntary,
> public mailing lists, and should thus allow anyone to unsubscribe, and
> allow any list member to 'who'. Other programs should be used for
> "broadcast" and private lists... Opinions on this statement? - Sarang

Anybody concerned about privacy issues should make the minor modifications
necessary to suppress the 'who' command. I believe that the normal 'who'
behaviour should be denied and can think of no good reason to allow it,
especially without warning members that their email adresses, as a group,
are public and available to anybody that wants them (regardless of
the private_who setting). The current lack of protection is an invitation
to spammers and email address hunters and is quite easy to repair.

Again, I plead with the developers group (maybe this is already in
version 1.94) to consider changing the default behaviour of majordomo
to suppress output of the member list.

Greg

P.S. I will post my modifications to majordomo and config_parse.pl if
there is any interest.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: denying unsubscribe...