Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: "sh cannot execute wrapper" error: is there a standard fix?
From: "Bruce M. Hahne" <hahne @ goemon . giganet . net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 18:40:25 +0900 (JST)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com
Cc: hahne @ goemon . giganet . net

I checked the most recent Majordomo FAQ but didn't see this problem
mentioned.  This glitch presumably has something to do with the UID that my
sendmail is adopting when it tries to exec.

Context:
	Solaris 2.5 Japanese release [this mostly means that some man pages
				      are translated into Japanese]
	Majordomo 1.94
	perl 5.003 with suidperl security patch
	sendmail 8.7.6
	/etc/aliases set up as specified in Majordomo 1.94 INSTALL file
	/var/home/majordomo/majordomo/wrapper is:
          -rwsr-xr-x   1 root     other       7984           17:13 wrapper

Problem: sendmail bounces mail sent to majordomo claiming that sh can't
execute the wrapper:

>    ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----
> "|/var/home/majordomo/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"  (unrecoverable error)
>     (expanded from: <majordomo@giga1.giganet.net>)

> sh: /var/home/majordomo/majordomo/wrapper: cannot execute
> 554 "|/var/home/majordomo/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"... unknown mailer error 1

I fixed this by changing all directories in the path to wrapper to add
world-execute permission.  Is there a better fix?

Sorry if this is an oft-asked question.

Thanks,
Bruce Hahne
hahne@giganet.net
Business Network Telecom K.K. / Giganet Internet service
Engineering dept.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: who opinion