Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: improving delivery performance
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 1996 01:13:42 -0500
To: amillar @ bolis . com
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

AM> Can you give a quick answer as to how Qmail handles lists differently?
AM> Why wouldn't it have the same problem?  Thanks

I have no first hand experience with qmail.  It's author, however, likes to
continually espouse the reasons why it's sooo many orders of magnitude
better than anything else (in other words, he really likes to toot his own
horn), so I have it etched into my brain.

The idea is that instead of trying to deliver one address in a list at a
time, it opens a pile of connections and does deliveries in parallel.  Thus
one address won't slow down all of them.

I can't say much more about qmail; I suggest you find the source (which I've
forgotten) and get your info from there.

I will say that qmail looks absolutely nothing like sendmail.  It obeys the
standards, but don't expect to be able to draw on your sendmail experience
to get it going.

 - J<