Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: (Fwd) MAJORDOMO ABORT - Any ideas?
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 04:57:32 -0800 (PST)
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: David Guntner <davidg @ netcom . com>, Majordomo @ stallion . jsums . edu, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On 26 Oct 1996, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> DG> do_exec_sendmail, mailer -fMajordomo-Owner not executable
> I could have sworn that we'd swatted this one once and for all.  I'll need
> much, much more information if I'm to begin to try to track this down for
> you.

I recall getting this error on an early beta of 1.94, and I'm not sure it
got fixed before 1.94 was released.  Here's my message from back then.

Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 01:21:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Brian Behlendorf <>
Subject: 1.94b1 bug report: bad failure mode for missing file from restrict_post option

If you list a file in the restrict_post option which does not exist, then
majordomo 1.94b1's behavior is pretty suboptiomal - it does a
MAJORDOMO_ABORT with a cryptic message, and ends up sending the message to
the list, but with every header in the original message doubled.  The
logfile when this happens looks something like this:

Sep 06 08:05:06  resend[16678] {contest} WARNING () Majordomo couldn't open the restrict_post file /usr/people/majordom/lists/contest.others-who-can-postfor the list contest. This should be fixed.
Sep 06 08:05:06  resend[16679] {contest} ABORT do_exec_sendmail, mailer -fMajordomo-Owner not executable

I would argue that majordomo should be tolerant of missing files in that
option, or for the security-minded, bounce all messages in that case to
the list owner.

Also, I was getting errors about not being able to find "config'abort"
from at another point, and changing calls of "&abort" to
"&main'abort" seemed to quell those.  Is this another bug?

Indexed By Date Previous: Updates to 1.94