Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: (Fwd) MAJORDOMO ABORT - Any ideas?
From: "David Guntner" <davidg @ netcom . com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:39:39 -0500
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <davidg@netcom22.netcom.com>

(BTW, thanks guys for cc'ing me on this.)

Jason L Tibbitts III grabbed a keyboard and wrote:

> BB> I recall getting this error on an early beta of 1.94, and I'm not sure
> BB> it got fixed before 1.94 was released.  Here's my message from back
> BB> then.
>
> This I believe we fixed this early in the beta process.  resend will
> currently complain about restrict_post files it can't open but will not
> abort.

I did manage to finally figure out what was triggering it, although I'm
still puzzled about why it sent those messages to the postmaster address
instead of majordomo-owner with that rather cryptic message.

When I configured the majordomo.cf file, I set $digest_work_dir to
$homedir/dig.  However, that seems to be the *one* variable which gets
set using a single quote (') instead of a double quote (") around the
value you're setting it to.  I'm making a guess based on observation
here, but it seems that if you enclose a variable setting in a single
quote, any variable mentioned inside those quotes *doesn't* get expanded,
as they do inside of double quotes.  The server was trying to work on its
digests in a directory called $homedir/dig (rather than
/usr/local/majordomo/dig), which didn't exist.  So shlock was failing,
and for each message in the digest, it was sending that abort message to
the postmaster since it thought it couldn't send it to majordomo-owner.
Once I fixed it by just pointing directly to /usr/local/majordomo/dig for
the value of $digest_work_dir (I didn't know if there was a particular
reason for using a single quote there instead of a double quote, so I
left the quote character alone), the error messages stopped happening,
and the digested versions of lists which have digests started processing
properly again.

I'm still at a loss about that majordomo-owner error, though.  After
fixing the above problem, I deliberately forged an E-Mail message to the
server with a leading "|", to create a hostile address and create an
abort.  It went right to majordomo-owner, like it should.

Anyway, the server is running like it should now.  But I figured I should
you'll know of something to look for. :-)

                      --Dave
--
    David Guntner    Internet: davidg@netcom.com    Finger or key server
                        GEnie: Just say NO!          for PGP Public key

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: improving delivery performance