Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: improving delivery performance
From: Brian Behlendorf <brian @ hyperreal . com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 21:41:48 -0800 (PST)
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On 29 Oct 1996, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> BB> What has occurred to me is that what's needed is a small, multithreaded
> BB> program which basically does the following:
>
> Sounds like the delivery portion of qmail.  (I'm beginning to sound like a
> qmail advocate.  Amazing.)  qmail is not monolithic; the queuing part is
> separate from the part which handles incoming connections which is separate
> from the piece which does outbound delivery.

Hmm, when I looked at qmail it didn't seem quite so componentable; I don't
know that it would be able to dump undelivered messages into sendmail's
queue for example, or let sendmail still handle local messages.  The
philosophy and configuration is just so different from sendmail that it
seemed like to really test it would require a major investment of time.

> At least I think that's how
> it works; I stopped paying attention when I got tired of Dan trashing every
> piece of software he didn't write.

Yeah, the installation and configuration documentation was almost
unreadable because of it, imho.

	Brian

brian@hyperreal.com     http://www.apache.org     http://www.organic.com/jobs