Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: strange errormessage: when sending mail to majordomo
From: Chris Knowles <cknowles @ redeemer . on . ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 08:27:41 -0500 (EST)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Wed, 30 Oct 1996, Martin Baehr wrote:

> and i get:
> "|/usr/local/servers/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"... User unknown
>
> now what the heck does that mean?
> i mean the alias does get expanded, but it seems, that sendmail does not
> understand the result.
> but that seems illogical.
>
> here is the content of the aliasesfile:
> --
> majordomo: "|/usr/local/servers/majordomo/wrapper majordomo"

Try This:

  majordom: majordomo

in your aliases file and create user majordom.

> owner-majordomo: mbaehr
> majordomo-owner: owner-majordomo
> --

On my system, the name majordomo was longer than the maximum allowable
userid.  When creating the userid, it let me call it majordomo, the
passwd file showed majordomo, yet a finger of majordomo displayed, unknown
user.

I had to set up a user majordom and an alias from majordom to majordomo in
my alias file, then all was well.
Christopher Knowles         | E-mail:    cknowles@redeemer.on.ca
Computer Services Director  | Phone :    (905) 648-2131 Fax:(905) 648-2134
777 Highway 53 East         | "It's a small world (But I wouldn't
Ancaster, Ontario, L9K 1J4  |  want to paint it)" - Stephen Wright

From: "Paul Taylor" <paul@NetCulture.net>
Next: Re: improving delivery performance
From: Daniel Senie <dts@senie.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: strange errormessage: when sending mail to majordomo
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@hpc.uh.edu>
Next: Setting +confirm in 1.94
From: Robert Glover <robg@f-body.org>