Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(October 1996)

Subject: Re: List statistics?
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 08:22:39 -0600 (CST)
To: chris @ sparkie . osl . state . or . us (chris)

[ chris writes: ]

> Is there a way to gather statistics for list usage. I am aware of the
> logs and I also know that I can archive every message from every list. I
> maintain about 25 lists and I would like to be able to monitor the usage
> of each of the lists.

Currently there's nothing to capture usage stats, but when Mj gets
modularized to make it easier to add customization modules, I'd thought
about an add-in to do that. The problem is that it's no insignificant
amount of overhead to do the stats file locking, etc. for each posting.
It would be pretty useless unless a list owner were able to retrieve
the stats via e-mail (using a password, of course) and maybe a retrieve
and reset. Then there's the details of exactly what stats need to
be captured: number of messages, of course, but what else? Some
possibilities off the top of my head:

    Counts of:
    - messages
    - message (body) sizes, i.e. bytes distributed
    - administrivia bounces
    - taboo header, etc. rejects
    - max size bounces
    - errors returned by MTA

Also a time stamp when last retrieved and when last reset. Probably also
when last updated. Another question is how configurable this should be?
I'd say just enable/disable per list. I see no reason to configure each
stat type, that's more appropriate for the report generator program that
uses the stats.

Comments? Please direct followups to Majordomo-workers.

--
 Dave Wolfe