Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1996)

Subject: Re: How to make a "-l"list -Reply
From: "Alan Millar" <amillar @ bolis . com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 1996 08:00:41 -800
To: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM
Comments: Authenticated sender is <amillar@bolis.com>

On 11 Nov 96 at 19:07, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
> BC> [...] finally I changed all the names to 8 characters or less and they
> BC> all worked.  Some of the names were cnenet-grpwise, cnenet-inet,
> BC> cnenet-3x.  I was quite disappointed that I had to use 8 characters or
> BC> less to get them to work.
>
> Looking at the name of this mailing list, there is clear evidence that
> there is not generally an eight character limit to the name of the list.
> There may be limitations having to do with your particular mail software,
> but not in Majordomo itself.

Without knowing what specific problems he faced, it could have also
been an old filesystem that limited the file name length.  I know
the Minix file system limited names to about 14 or 16 chars;
presumably there are other systems still floating around like this
too.  When you tack on extensions like .config and .config.new,
you've got a basic limit on list name length.

- Alan

----
Alan Millar                  amillar@bolis.com
Owner, System Admin          http://www.bolis.com
Ask me about Internet mailing list services at Bolis.com
'And did you live?'  'Did I?  You should see me now!'

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Upgrade to PERL 5.003