Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1996)

Subject: Re: mail failed; not a valid return address
From: Brian Jackson <bjackson @ emstat . com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 10:31:01 -0600
To: Dave Wolfe <david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

At 10:09 AM 11/21/96 -0600, Dave Wolfe wrote:
>[ Brian Jackson writes: ]
>>
>> when I execute the command `echo lists|mail majordom` as in item 9 of
>                                                      ^ o?
>						      typo?

Yes it is a typo.

>> the INSTALL it says I should get the message back from
>> Majordomo(wouldn't that be nice ;-)). instead I get 2 messages from
>> MAILER-DAEMON, the first one is "no valid recipients were found for
>> this message" followed by the headers and text of the message. the
>> second one is "no valid recipients were found for this message"
>> "majordomo ... failed: unknown user" followed by headers and body of
>> message.
>
>Did you run newaliases (aka sendmail -bi) to incorporate your aliases
>into the sendmail alias database?

Yep!  smail -bi

>> Just for the hell of it I tried `echo lists|wrapper majordomo` and I get
>> "majordomo@emstat.com:  is not a valid return address."
>
>You have to feed a e-mail message, complete with headers, to majordomo.

I know, I was grasping for anything when I typed that in.

Brian Jackson                 |  Tried searching for a life online...
BRC Health Care               |  % man -k life
bjackson@emstat.com           |  life: nothing appropriate

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: mail failed; not a valid return address