Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1996)

Subject: Re: Majordomo v1.94: problem with shlock.pl
From: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Date: 24 Nov 1996 23:29:26 -0600
To: mikhail @ klm . com (Mikhail Kuperblum)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

MK> It causes an infinite stream of warnings to Majordomo owners from
MK> majordomo process that lingers instead of dying like it's suppose to.
MK> Why not?:

MK> open($FH_name, ">> $filename") || die "open of temp file $filename
MK> failed\n $!";

I think the implementors are somewhat afraid of mucking with shlock.pl.  I
know I am.  It seems to me that you haven't thought through your "fix",
though, because the code tries its best never to die without sending
something to the owner.  An abort is much more useful, but even then I do
recall odd cases where the inability to open the file is only a temporary
condition so that aborting is not the proper recourse.

This question would be better addressed in majordomo-workers.

 - J<