Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1996)

Subject: Re: Majordomo v1.94: problem with shlock.pl
From: mikhail @ klm . com (Mikhail Kuperblum)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 07:33:23 -0500
To: Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs @ hpc . uh . edu>
Cc: mikhail @ klm . com, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sun, Nov 24 (11:29pm), Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> MK> It causes an infinite stream of warnings to Majordomo owners from
> MK> majordomo process that lingers instead of dying like it's suppose to.
> MK> Why not?:
>
> MK> open($FH_name, ">> $filename") || die "open of temp file $filename
> MK> failed\n $!";
>
> I think the implementors are somewhat afraid of mucking with shlock.pl.  I
> know I am.  It seems to me that you haven't thought through your "fix",
> though, because the code tries its best never to die without sending
> something to the owner.

That is what 'die "open of temp file $filename failed\n $!";' is for.
The owner will be notified with a *single* error message which will make
clear that there is a problem. Repeating it thousands of times won't
make it any clearer.

>                           An abort is much more useful, but even then I do
> recall odd cases where the inability to open the file is only a temporary
> condition so that aborting is not the proper recourse.

Ok, so doing lets say three attempts in a span of a minute and then bail out
might make sense.

> This question would be better addressed in majordomo-workers.

Will do.

--mikhail