Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(November 1996)

Subject: Re: list spams
From: bill @ celestial . com (Bill Campbell)
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 1996 16:26:15 -0800 (PST)
To: jdp @ cs . columbia . edu (John D. Pritchard)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com, majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, Sneakers-Request @ cs . yale . edu, robh @ imdb . com, jdp @ cs . columbia . edu

>why can't someone subscribe to a mailing list, eg, via majordomo, with an
>invalid email address?

>does sendmail check that the tcpname of the smtp client is on the same
>domain as the tcpname in the subscriber's mailing address?  i think not
>just because i see a lot of email spoofing these days.

Whenever I subscribe to a mailing list, I set up a majordomo list on our
machine here and send the subscribe to that list name.  This allows me to
provide local distribution and local archives easily.

How is the majordomo program supposed to check to see if the user-supplied
address is valid, particulary if VRFY and EXPN are turned off at the
subscribing site?  It could never check in cases where e-mail goes through
a firewall.

Real-time verification of e-mail addresses probably wouldn't work more
often than it would given the variety of methods of mail delivery.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill@Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

Government spending?  I don't know what it's all about.  I don't know
any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
doesn't know much.
		-- Will Rogers