Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: Why must I create twice the number of directories?
From: Robert Byers <bob @ hsph . harvard . edu>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:26:32 -0500 (EST)
To: Dave Wolfe <david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Dave Wolfe wrote:

> [ Brock Rozen writes: ]
> >
> > On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Robert Byers wrote:
> >
> > > If I didn't create the two soft links, either mkdigest would fail
> > > ("invalid directory"), or incoming posts would fail to be written to a
> > > directory (which one fails depends on which directories exist)
> >
> > You're creating the wrong directories, that's why it failed without the
> > soft links. But you don't need the place where they lead to. The soft
> > links need to be real directories and the original directories don't need
> > to be there at all.
> Except that Robert is using both digest and, so both archive
> directories must exist the way he has things configured. Robert, don't
> confuse list archives (maintained by and queried by 'get'
> and 'index' commands) with digest "archives" (created and used by
> digest, but are only temporary). They aren't the same thing and you
> shouldn't be using the same directory for both.

Thanks for this very informative info!! Very clear and to the point!! Now I
see my wayward ways! Indeed, I was confusing and the "archive"
directories used by digest.

Armed with your insight, I was able to rectify the situation in no time
at all!

All I had to do was change my call to to:

"|/opt/mjd/wrapper -f /opt/mjd/lists/bblist.archive/bblist -m -a"

and make sure the following directories existed:

	~mjd/spool/bblist       		#used by digest for temp storage
	~mjd/lists/bblist-digest.archive	#used by digest
	~mjd/lists/bblist.archive		#used by

Actually, an additional change I made was digest_work_dir = $homedir/spool,
(removed the trailing digests/) But this change had no impact on fixing the
problem, it only removed an unnecessary subdirectory level.

I got rid of those soft links mentioned in my original post.

That's all I had to do.

Thanks again!
-Bob Byers
 Harvard School of Public Health
 Boston, MA 02115

Indexed By Date Previous: Upgrading from 1.93 to 1.94.1 cont. Archived digests?