Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: disbling welcome with using admin approve key
From: "Kenneth W. Parker" <kparker @ kparker . nai . net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 23:42:48 -0500 (EST)
To: Bill Houle <Bill . Houle @ SanDiegoCA . NCR . COM>
Cc: Dave Wolfe <david_wolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>, Jose Delgado <jose @ abcnet . es>, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, 18 Feb 1997, Bill Houle wrote:

> At 08:27 AM 2/18/97 -0600, Dave Wolfe wrote:
> >[ Jose Delgado writes: ]
> >>
> >> Does someone know how to diable the Welcome message to user <snip>
>
> <snip> "Adding a lot of addresses" is not a good
> excuse for not notifying people. (And is actually rather irrelevant.)
>
> However, just to give a different example, these types of "stealth" mailing
> lists can be used for legitimate system-admin purposes, eg for tracking
> users of a system.

   I've noticed that all of the Internet Service Providers I belong to
seem to have their own announcement list that seems to go to all of
their zubscribers.  I of course don't know if any of them use
Majordomo to administer them.  Now, wouldn't it be possible to write
a Perl script that takes fields out of an /etc/passwd file and puts
them in exactly the right order to make a Majordomo user list file?
And so, since no zubscribe commands had to be submitted, no notification?

    Till later,

	Ken Parker