Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1997)

Subject: problem with approve script
From: Omar Thameen <omar @ clifford . inch . com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 16:30:46 -0500 (EST)
To: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

I'm finding a problem with the way the approve script interacts with
a .majordomo file that I've noticed since I upgraded from 1.93 to
1.94, and it still persists in 1.94.1.  In sum, if I pipe a message
through approve in my mailer, I get the error message:

no password for list listname; skipping "subscribe listname \
omar@clifford.inch.com" at /usr/local/bin/approve line 147, <STDIN> chunk 18.

I got this to work by removing the "\" escaping the "@" in line 145:

$ diff approve.new approve
145c145
<           $passwd = $passwd{"$list@$reply_to"};
---
>           $passwd = $passwd{"$list\@$reply_to"};

This doesn't seem to fix everything, however.  I'm under the impression
that you can use approve to let administrative bounces go to the
list, but that also gives me errors.

I don't know if there's other functionality affected (there seem to
be other of these associative arrays in approve - lines 234 and 235),
and I don't know perl well enough to give a definitive explanation
(unless it's simply that when using a string in an associative array,
you don't need to escape the @).

Here's some more related info for those that don't know about the
.majordomo file usage.  You can have a .majordomo file set up in your
home directory. It's for maintaining lists and stores the listname,
list password, and list address in the form:

listname	listpasswd	majordomo@list.wherever

).  Thus, you can pipe a message Mj sends to you through the approve script,
which parses the file, checks out the .majordomo file, and completes the
request.

--
Omar Thameen                       omar@inch.com
Systems Administration     http://world.inch.com        ( sysadmin stuff )

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Tool for new list creation