Great Circle Associates Majordomo-Users
(February 1997)

Subject: Re: MAJORDOMO ABORT (mj_majordomo) (fwd)
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 08:23:33 -0600 (CST)
To: larock @ oswego . edu (Nicole LaRock Decker)
Cc: majordomo-users @ greatcircle . com

[ Nicole LaRock Decker writes: ]

> I've just upgraded to version 1.94.1. [...] I'm confused on two
> things. The first is that the documentation says something about
> having ownership be majordom.daemon. I have made all of the
> installation files with this ownership. However, the lists and config
> files are still owned by majordom.majordom from the previous version.
> What should it be?

As always, it should be what you configured in the Makefile for wrapper.
That is the uid.gid that Mj runs as and should (must) match the file
ownerships.

> The second is why is majordomo creating a file with a .new extension
> with nothing in it (although I had one earlier that looked like a PID
> number in it)?

No, that was a lock file (either L.something or somelist.config.LOCK).
The somelist.new file is a temp file that is written when Mj is
processing an 'unsubscribe' request. The chown abort is usually because
you don't have wrapper installed correctly. On POSIX systems it must be
owned by root and setuid.

--
 Dave Wolfe