Subject: Re: MAJORDOMO ABORT (mj_majordomo) (fwd)
From: Dave Wolfe <dwolfe @ risc . sps . mot . com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 08:18:10 -0600 (CST)
To: pamela @ infi . net (Pam Skillman)
Cc: majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM, systems @ agora . ualr . edu

[ Pam Skillman writes: ]

> okay.  *I* am still having the 'chown' problem...haven't gotten the
> 'chmod' problem yet... (just in case they are different).  I guess what
> I have heard in the last couple of mails about this is that the .new
> file shouldn't be owned by root...but it is being run from the wrapper
> which is setuid root... that explains why the .new file is owned by
> root doesn't it???

No, not at all. Wrapper is setuid root because only root can change both
effective and real uids to really become user majordom (or whatever).
Wrapper starts as root but the whole purpose of wrapper is to become
majordom, which it does before exec'ing the file named in its first
argument. Therefore, if your .new files are owned by root, something is
wrong in the way wrapper is configured or installed or being used.

> I *have* matched unzubscribes and it only happens occasionally for
> only 1 list (so far)....In fact, the person can try again at a later
> time and the unzubscribe works... I can see it in the logs..

That's spooky! The only scenarios I can come up with at the moment
involve redundant mail hosts with all but one running Mj via NFS, and
I'd think you'd know if that was the case.

--
 Dave Wolfe